You are here
The Church Transition Work Book : Getting Your Church in Gear
When something traumatic happens to a church, how can the leadership of that congregation get back on their feet? This book talks about change and transition in simple terms. Using the analogy of a gearshift (PRNDL), this book offers a step by step process for church leaders seeking to restore their congregation back to growth and health. Pastor-Parish Committees will find this book helpful in guiding the transition between pastors. Laid out in a workbook format, CTW provides group excercises and discussion starters to help people get past their anxiety related to change. Describes the four stages of change and the tasks lay and clergy leaders should focus on during each stage. Reproducible excercizes keep clergy and laity on the same page as pastoral relationships are being redefined.
CTW is often used as a text book for training Intentional Interim Ministers and Transitional Consultants. A must read for Pastor/staff Parish Committees.
8 1/2 x 11 144 pages Published by Discipleship Resources, UMC. Like all NPY books, jargon has been kept to a minimum to make the book useful for congregations of any denomination.
The Church Transition Workbook: Getting Your Church in Gear is especially helpful for churches that are going through a crisis precipitated by:
- the loss of a pastor under difficult circumstances, such as clergy misconduct or death
- the moving or retirement of a long-term pastor or of a pastor who micromanaged the church or failed to empower the laity
- the sudden loss of church membership or a church split
- a long-term pattern of declining resources
- a change in community circumstances or the church’s neighborhood.
Church Transition Workbook can be purchased directly from Bill Kemp for $10 plus $5 shipping/handling. Multicopy discounts available through firstname.lastname@example.org
SECTION I: “OVERVIEW”
- Chapter 1: “Trauma and Transition”
- Chapter 2: “How the Bible talks about Transition”
- Chapter 3: “The Process of Transition”
- Chapter 4: “Interim Ministers and Other Consultants”
SECTION II: “PARK”
- Chapter 5: “An Example of a Transitional Church”
- Chapter 6: “How long will we be here?”
- Chapter 7: “Healing is Incremental”
- Chapter 8: “Leadership During Transition”
....and twenty more chapters, each with group excercises and copy-pemitted handouts, plus an appendix that provides worship suggestions for your transition period.